Thank you for your feedback

Self Assessment (personal tax) service requirements

In order for us to calculate and file your Self Assessment tax return efficiently, we may require you to provide details of your circumstances for the tax year in question.

From the following list please provide any information you have which applies to you between 6th April and 5th April.

(For extra information on how to find this information click the links available)

  • Your Unique Tax Reference (UTR) & office  - This can be found on the top left-hand corner of your previous tax return or any Self Assessment correspondence from HMRC. If you don't have a UTR number you can apply online and then select 'individual'. 
  • Previous Self Assessment tax returns - It would be helpful if you could provide copies of a previously filed return.
  • Employment - we require any P45, P11D, or P60 that has been issued alongside your limited company employment.
  • Sole trading - we require a copy of the accounts and tax computations (if available) for the accounting period ended during the tax year in question. Sole trading is work you've undertaken and received payment for outside of your regular work - through the limited company and/or employment.
  • Personal UK interest income - for personal and savings bank accounts. Your bank or building society would have sent you an interest statement at the end of the tax year, (this excludes ISA).
  • Dividend income - this is for dividend income other than that of your limited company. Please provide dividend vouchers or payment advice.
  • Pension contributions made personally- Anything paid directly into a pension provider from your personal finances.
  • Gift Aid - Charitable donations made personally.
  • Student loan repayments - Please inform us whether you were due to make student loan payments. If you have made any repayments during the tax year either via employment or personally please advise how much this was for. The Student Loans Company can provide details if you're unable to find these. 
  • Partnership Statement for the tax year.
  • UK Property - This only relates to you if you own a property(s) which you rent out and receive income from, we also need to know whether it's furnished. This does not relate to your normal day-to-day residence. 
  • Capital Gains - Details of any assets (including shares or properties other than your main residence) disposed of during the year, including dates of purchase and sale, proceeds, acquisition costs, enhancement costs and any costs of sale. Please supply the contract notes or transaction/valuation documents if held.
  • Foreign Income - Any income outside of your UK limited company which is not from a UK source - any foreign income e.g. shares, rental income.
  • Trust income - An annual statement from the trustees is required.
  • Non-Residence - If you spend more than 183 days of UK residency in the UK tax year you are almost certainly a resident. Find out for certain here.
  • Child benefit - Does anyone in the household receive child benefit, or has the household agreed to opt-out. If benefits are received, we need to know exact amounts from the period from the 6th of April to the 5th of April.
Last Updated: 21 Nov 2019 08:34AM GMT

Related Articles

Self Assessment service
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found