From 30 June 2016 the Annual Return is being replaced with a new document - the Confirmation Statement. This essentially contains the same information as the Annual Return, but will include additional information about ‘Persons of Significant Control’ (PSC).
The Confirmation Statement needs to be filed once a year. Your company information needs to be checked and confirmed to ensure your details with Companies House are correct.
The ‘made-up’ date is usually the anniversary of:
- the incorporation of the company; or
- the date of the previous annual return registered at Companies House.
The Confirmation Statement contains the following information:
- the name of the company
- its registered number
- statement of capital
- a marker to indicate whether the company was a ‘Traded company’ at any time during the return period
- details of the shareholders
- details about individuals who are Persons of Significant Control (PSC) and reasons for their inclusion
- standard industry classification (SIC code)
- the principal business activities of the company
- the type of company it is, for example, private or public
- the registered office address of the company
- the address (single alternate inspection location - SAIL) where the company keeps certain company records if not at the registered office, and those records held there
- the details of the company secretary (corporate or individual), where applicable; and
- the details of all the company's directors (corporate or individual).
Our Basic Package customers will continue to pay £13 for the online submission of the Confirmation Statement to Companies House. This is the same cost as the old Annual Return.
If you’re a Crunch Plus or Premium client the cost of submission is included.
When do you have to submit a Confirmation Statement?
It has to be done at least once a year and within 14 days of its due date. The due date is normally a year after your incorporation or the date you last completed an annual return.
How do I submit my Confirmation Statement?
You can view your annual return in Crunch by going to the Your Crunch tab > Confirmation Statement.
The Confirmation Statement will only be available to view from the anniversary of the last ‘made up to’ date, plus one day. This is because the anniversary must have passed in order to produce a snapshot of the details at that date. Once available, you’ll then have 14 days from the ’made up to’ date to file the return.
By clicking on the View Return button you'll be able to check the return before submitting it to us for filing. If any of the details are incorrect you can use the 'tell us about changes to your Confirmation Statement' button and your client manager will let you know when those changes have been made so that you can make the submission.
What if you don’t submit a confirmation statement?
Failure to file a Confirmation Statement is a criminal offence which can result in directors being fined personally in criminal courts. Companies House can also strike the company off the register, which is expensive and time consuming to restore.